The Islanders were unable to complete the sweep of the Panthers on Wednesday afternoon, but I’m of the mind that too much time off between series can be hurtful and that a relatively inexperienced postseason team like the Isles could use a smidgen of adversity early on in order to be able to handle what may come at them in later rounds.
That being said, I’ll get pretty nervous if they’re unable to finish it off today.
It’s been a while, so FIGs go here. I don’t know if they’ll count in the FIG standings, but in case they do, or if you just want to play along, let ‘em rip.
Islanders and Isles-Cats News
- Let’s preview today’s game, shall we? [Islanders]
We might see some lineup changes, according to the coach. Also, an update on Johnny Boychuk.
No practice today for #Isles, no update on Johnny Boychuk, though Barry Trotz says he’s making “progress.”
Trotz said he is considering lineup changes or adjustments within lineup for Game 4.
— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) August 6, 2020
- The Islanders know the clincher is the toughest game to win. [Newsday]
- And they do need to have a “bounce back” game today in order to clinch it. [Islanders]
- WATCH: Brock Nelson, scarred and seated next to Nick Leddy, briefly chats about the team’s Game 4 prep. [Newsday]
- Barry Trotz: a fan of the 24-team playoff format. He hopes it’s a permanent change. [Newsday]
- LISTEN: Dan and Mike discuss, according to their description, Games 2 & 3 and look ahead to Game 4. I’ll be listening while you read this. [LHH]
Yesterday’s NHL scores include the Flyers beating the Capitals (more on that below). Also, the Blue Jackets trailed the Maple Leafs 3-0 before coming back to win in OT thanks to a goalie change and a Pierre-Luc Dubois hat trick; and the Flames eliminated the Jets in Game 4.
The next round in the East is starting to take shape.
IF they do and:
IF MTL beats PIT , #Isles would be 6th seed and face Sunday’s Bos-WSH winner.
If PIT beats MTL, NYI would be 7th and face Saturday’s PHI-TBL loser. https://t.co/oc9OI3CFy8
— Eric Hornick (@ehornick) August 6, 2020
- The Qualifying Round losers won’t have to wait long to find out if they’ll be rewarded with Alexis Lafreniere: Phase 2 of the 2020 Draft Lottery will be Monday night at 6:00 p.m.
- Now that Winnipeg is out, Paul Maurice disclosed that Mark Scheifele did suffer an Achilles injury, but it was not a cut nor tear. More like a “crushing,” he said. [Sportsnet]
- The Isles have had the early games at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto. The full 12-hour day is a sight to behold, though. [The Athletic]
- Are you curious about how the fake crowd noise is working? Because I was. The NHL hired one professional sound engineer for each bubble arena. They have to yell really loud to get the full crowd effect. [The Athletic]